Thursday 31 July 2014

Infliximab: Turns out I'm allergic to dead mouse

About a month after I was diagnosed, I was started on Infliximab, which is medicine that is in infused through a drip. I had to go to the hospital and sit in a chair for about three hours while this drug was put into my bloodstream. It started off every two weeks, then every four until eventually I should only have to go every six weeks. 

I quite enjoyed going to that department in the hospital, all the nurses where loverly and I enjoyed listening to their banter. They didn't take themselves very seriously, which was really nice because a hospital is quite a serious place.

I was usually surrounded by old people having blood transfusions and where very ill. But one day, I was sat next to this man, whose son was with him. He started talking to me and asking what I was there for and I told him everything about my crohns and he told me everything about his cancer. He even got his son to go and buy me a packet of quavers because I didn't like any of the food. I got home and both him and his son had added me on Facebook. Had I just made a friend at hospital?

Infliximab seemed to be working. I was having less stomach aches and I was eating better. Everything looked like it was going up.

On the day that I was due my third infusion, I decided I would go on my own. I was used to having needles prodded into my arm and all I did was sit there. I got dropped off and my grandma set a time that she would return. The gentleman that I had met on my second infusion was there with his wife and sat next to me. She told me that she had 'heard a lot about me.' I didn't realise I had such a big affect on them.

Whilst chatting to them both, I suddenly started to feel very hot and clammy and my chest felt tight, it was as if someone had put a pile of bricks on it. I called over the nurse. She immediatly stopped the drip. The gentlemen's wife held a sick bowl for me and held my hair whilst I was sick. I was taken over to a bed in the corner of the room and the curtains pulled round. The doctor was called. Adrenaline was being prepared. 


I had an anaphylactic shock. 

Apparently I am allergic to the dead mouse that is used.

Luckily I didn't have to have any adrenaline. Being sick seemed to do the job. But this lady that I had only just met stayed with me the entire time. And I am so thankful for that because it was so nice to have someone who wasn't a nurse or a doctor just to hold my hand. 

That was the end to Infliximab.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that must have been scary.

    Remicade has a higher rate of side-effects, likely because of that mouse DNA. Will you be switched to anything else like Humira?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was switched to Humira and Azathiorpine but it did nothing so I had to have surgery and im still on azathioprine

      Delete
    2. Does that mean you'll be getting an ostomy or will it be a resection?

      Delete
    3. I have already had the surgery, it was a resection and now Im in remission and I have been for the past year :)

      Delete
    4. I really need to read these blog posts when I'm more awake :o I'm glad you're feeling better.

      Biologics also failed for me too, which lead to my ileostomy. Probably the best thing to happen since my diagnosis.

      Delete
    5. Yeah the surgery was the best decision i ever made :)

      Delete